Beware of a KYC Verification Phishing Scam impersonating MetaMask!
Yesterday I received an email from what appeared to be MetaMask support claiming that I needed KYC Verification or my MetaMask wallet would be suspended. I wasn’t sure what exactly KYC was , but am use to digital wallets needing more details from time to time to full fill regulatory requirements, so I am afraid to say that I clicked on the ‘Start KYC verification’ button. I email did after all appear as though it had come from MetaMask. I was then met with the most intense security warning page from Google, which stopped me in my tracks and got me searching ‘KYC Verification Phishing Scam’. And yes, as it turns out, this was a scam, confirmed by the real individuals at MetaMask Support when I further reached out to them.
Note that MetaMask Accounts are not associated with email addresses, so MetaMask will NEVER email you.
If you too receive such an email impersonating MetaMask to access your details, here is what the real MetaMask Support asks you:
- DO NOT OPEN THE LINK;
- DO NOT CONFIRM ANYTHING FROM THAT EMAIL;
- Report the email as spam / a phishing attempt;
- Forward the email to the Anti-Phishing Working Group at email@example.com or if you got a phishing text message, forward it to SPAM (7726);
- Report the phishing attack to the FTC at ReportFraud.ftc.gov;
- Reach out to MetaMask Support to inform them if you receiving suspicious emails or texts claiming to be them; and
- Delete the email.
Be sure to let your friends know too, so no one falls prey to this scam. My huge thanks to Google for the extreme red warnings before I proceeded further with that phishing link.